Sunday 19 May 2013

First Impressions Review: Revlon Colorstay Whipped Makeup

After seeing a lot of people rave about this on blogs and YouTube, I have wanted this since it first came out and I have finally picked it up in a recent haul.


Behold, the... 
Revlon Colorstay Whipped Makeup.




- What they claim -

The Revlon website describes this foundation in a blurb: "Finally, truly decadent makeup offers ultimate performance. The mousse-like texture feels like silk on your skin. And the time release formula balances your skin for a flawless look. All day, flexible wear, without flaking, caking or feeling heavy".
It also claims to last up to 24 hours and an SPF of 20.


- Packaging -

The packaging looks and feels very luxurious being in thick glass, however it is a bit bulky. When opening the product up, a white protective cap sits there to make sure the foundation doesn't dry out. 
This type of packaging may not tick the hygienic box, however you can always use a disinfected spatula to scoop the product out.
You get 23.7mL or 0.8 Fl. Oz., which is a little less than the average foundation. 



- Consistency -

The consistency of this foundation is quite interesting and nice. It feels like the combination of a mousse and a liquid foundation. When blending it into the skin, it feels satin-y and consistent, not thick, patchy or sticky at all.



No makeup

- Application and Coverage -
On first application, I applied the foundation with my Real Techniques Stippling Brush. It blends like a dream, and I find that you have much more time to blend and perfect with this whipped formula over the normal Colorstay. The coverage is medium, but can be easily buildable to medium-full. Some redness does still peek through the foundation but it is not that noticeable. The foundation doesn't settle into my pores as much as many others do, which I love, and it fairly covers my acne scarring as well as the purple tones underneath my eyes. The satin finish it sets to feels and looks next to flawless to me.


Normal Lighting
In the photo below, I lightly applied some powder on my t-zone and around my mouth,  some cream blush, bronzer as contour and highlighter.

With Flash
- After wear -
After 6 hours of wear, the foundation looks bloody awesome! And I can say, it looks more flawless after long wear. My cream blush, bronzer and highlight is still noticeable on my face, and the foundation hasn't faded, caked, flaked or creased on the sides of my mouth (which is a massive problem with 99% of foundations for me). I also noticed that I didn't have an oily t-zone, it's a miracle haha. It controls the oils on my face better than Estee Lauder Double Wear.


After 6 hours of wear

Now to the downside of this product. I saw it coming when there was an SPF of 20 involved....flashback is indeed inevitable. But, Revlon didn't claim for the product to be suited to flash photography, so that is okay.

GhostlĂ˝ flashback


 - Overview -
Love at first sight. I would wear this on long days (not nights at the club or in sight of flash photography). It holds up extremely well on my oily/combo skin. The colour I have is in Sand Beige 200, which is an okay match to my NC20 skin, it's a bit lighter than my skin tone. This foundation retails for $34.95, which is pretty expensive for a "drugstore" foundation in Australia, but sales happen everywhere so it wouldn't be hard to pick it up when it is a bit cheaper. It isn't an all rounder foundation, but I am more than happy to just wear this foundation in the day time.

Rate: 9/10

If you have this foundation, tell me what you think of it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks soo nice on your skin! I love the original formula so I guess I will also love this one.. just getting the right shade can be tricky but I have found this website by ps beauty and they do a foundation finder that I found very useful, the site basically makes product recommendations but it was quite accurate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those foundation finders are very useful I find. xox

      Delete